Reserach Technologist; OGI Core LabSeptember 29, 2021
Under general supervision of the laboratory manager, the research technologist performs diagnostic genetic testing, equipment maintenance, solution and reagent preparation, monitors inventory in addition to other tasks in a highly complex clinical diagnostic laboratory. The technologist performs a wide range of diagnostic lab procedures in a timely manner with high degree of accuracy and precision and with an understanding of theory behind tests and procedures.
- Following laboratory SOPs and with close attention to detail, carry out a wide range of moderate to complex genomics techniques, including DNA/RNA extraction, next-generation sequencing (NGS) library preparation/target enrichment, microarrays, and Sanger sequencing for diagnostic-based genetic analyses.
- Operate and maintain lab equipment such as sequencers, thermal cyclers, ultra-centrifuges and other scientific equipment related to diagnostic testing.
- Accessioning of patient samples into clinical laboratory databases.
- Collect, analyze and interpret results. Record quality control metrics.
- Perform key experiments to develop and validate new methods and protocols to add to diagnostics testing menu.
- Review and write reports, protocols and SOPs.
- Meticulous record keeping and to be able to follow CLIA/CLIA-like standard.
- Carry out troubleshooting experiments as needed.
- Take routine laboratory responsibilities and comply with lab quality control policies and procedures. Pro-actively determine appropriate corrective action and follow up.
- Provide functional guidance and immediate supervision to lower level technical personnel.
- May teach moderately difficult to complex lab techniques to students and fellows.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
BS/MS degree in life science with 2+ years of relevant molecular biology lab experience including NGS.
Experience with DNA extraction, Sanger sequencing and/or NGS (Illumina platform) highly desired.
Expertise in use and programming of automation is a plus.
Organized, methodical, and attention to detail required.
Please indicate whether you are authorized to work for any company in the United States, whether you have a work permit and if you do have a work permit, what type it is.
Please use the link below to apply