POSITION SUMMARY: The Massachusetts Eye and Ear Infirmary (MEEI) is a teaching hospital of Harvard Medical School. MEEI is an international leader for treatment and research in both Ophthalmology and Otolaryngology. The MEEI Bioinformatics Center (MBC) conducts genetic and genomic research while also providing bioinformatics expertise to other clinical and research programs at MEEI. The Center is seeking a motivated bioinformaticist to help with addressing the associated computing needs. This is a multifaceted position with responsibilities in software development and support, hardware and system administration, database development and administration, and genomic research.
The ideal candidate should have advanced computer skills combined with in-depth biological knowledge. Analytical expertise in one or more types of genomic data, especially next-generation sequencing, is highly desirable. Strong personal skills and the ability to work independently and yet function as part of the team are essential.
- Development of novel bioinformatics software tools, databases, and resources
- Development and administration of local high-performance computing infrastructure
- Development of web-based tools for management and analysis of re-sequencing data.
- Analysis of next-generation sequencing data (e.g. Illumina HiSeq/MiSeq) using existing analysis pipelines, either publicly available or custom built, using local HPC cluster or with cloud computing
- Continued enhancement and development of existing data analysis pipelines for re-sequencing and RNA-seq analyses.
- Serving as a liaison between research groups and MEEI research IT and hospital IS departments
WORKING CONDITIONS: Research area and office work environment.
The bioinformaticist will work on the 5th floor of the main hospital, 243 Charles Street. An office space is ready with phone and Internet connections set up. The server room is located in close proximity on the same floor, right next to the Genomics Core Facility. There is convenient access to MEEI cafeteria on the 7th floor and, more importantly, abundant opportunities to interact with other MEEI research groups, especially the Pierce lab and the Wiggs lab that are also part of the MEEI Ocular Genomics Institute, with which the MEEI Bioinformatics Center is affiliated.
MINIMUM EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Master in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Computational Biology, Bioinformatics, or related fields
- Strong programming skills in Java, C/C++, Perl, SQL, PHP, Java, and HTML
- Strong UNIX/LINUX system expertise
- Strong data management experience and expertise
- Excellent organization and communication skills
- Previous web programming experience
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Research experience in the field of bioinformatics and genomics desired
- Genomic data analysis expertise, especially next-generation sequencing experience, preferred
- Project management experience desired
- Familiarity with bioinformatics resources and software strongly preferred
- Ability to work independently and take initiative when necessary
- Be accountable and meet deadlines
Qualified applicants should email PDF'S of a detailed letter of interest, current CV, and the contact information for at least three references to Kathleen Newton.